Color and texture of the main interior elements, lamps positions and consideration of light propagation direction allow keep or correct the present space with help of optical illusions. Optical illusions mean the changes of visual perception of a room size caused by psychological phenomena, contrast, eye-memory, i.e. the room may become visually deeper, more narrow, wider, higher or lower.
To achieve the named effects we need to know some basics:
- Horizontal lines “stretch” the room, making the effect of area enlargement but making the room itself seem lower; vertical lines “compress” the room making it seem higher.
- Small ornament enlarges the room; the big one makes it smaller.
- The same effect of height reduction can be achieved in different ways: surface division in the lower zone and dark colors of the ceiling.
- A good special effect can be reached by division only one of the planes. The room may seem larger or smaller, shorter or longer.
- If you group the techniques giving the same spacious effect we can recommend you the following:
- Height increase can be reached by painting the floor in deep colors, by using the big pattern highly contrast to the background, by using the varnished surfaces and by lighting the lower part of the room.
- You can get the effect of visual height increase by the next techniques of ceiling decoration: use built-in lamps, spacious structure of the hanging ceiling, make its surface glittering or use the mirror glass, use the lights in the upper part of the room making the ceiling brighter.
- You can get the effect of space increase by: color contrast of the vertical and horizontal off-road planes, contrast textures.
- When using optical illusions for the visual correction of space the directed lighting system usage (changing the brightness of separate parts of the off-road surfaces using the directed luminous flux) can give you a great effect.
- Influence of visual illusions on the imaginary change of room size.